Friday 12 November 2004

Goodbye Abu Ammar

With a short statement by a French doctor, the death of one of the most recognisable faces of patriotic struggle in the 20th Century, was announced.

While I'm not going to launch into a long-winded obituary, I was not going to let this historical moment pass without a few personal words on the man, Yasser Arafat.

I suppose it was easy for the world to see him as a caricature, as he was often portrayed. An evil-minded, terrorist, black and white cut-out, pigeon holed and labeled as a killer, an ineloquent orator (due to his poor English), an anti-semite. However, I think the man's achievements have been all but overlooked, marred by suicide bombers, skewed by Israeli propaganda and demonised by the ill-informed, narrow minded West.

While he lived fighting for the right of his fellow countrymen and women, the Palestinians themselves were first and foremost his most outspoken critics. Regardless of this, he was able to bring together the varied factions - religious and political - and find an arena to converse, to listen. One of the biggest faults of the Palestinian people, in my opinion, is their divisiveness. I am often angry and frustrated by this. Maybe one lesson we can learn from the Jewish people is their ability to stick together.

I remember as a young child asking my dad who Arafat was and what the PLO stood for. I remember I was only about 6 or 7 and some little anglo called me a terrorist at school. I know that child didn't know what they said, but it hurt. I knew it was a bad word, a dirty word. I turned to my dad. I still can hear my father's words, ``Yasser Arafat is a freedom fighter and if anyone asks you what the PLO means, tell them that they are fighting for your grandfather's land and our homeland.'' I didn't fully understand that my parents had been refugees, had been living in the Diaspora ever since they were children, but just being able to say, Palestinian Liberation Organisation, gave me a sense of identity and belonging.

I suppose this is why I'm sad. He had many failings, but I believe he acted in the best way he knew how, within the limits he had. No-one will ever encapsulate the face of the Palestinians as he has. Labels will eventually fade. Often, the truth will be revealed, but most definitely a myth will be created, one that is larger than life. But he was but a man.
As he said, in his own words, ``No one can escape his destiny. I am a Palestinian''.


Just as an aside, I am sickened by the comments of the Israelis and our own PM, John Howard. It seems the Israelis - and I shouldn't be surprised - are the first to spew disgusting, degrading and misleading comments about Yasser Arafat. As one of the Israeli ministers said ``he was the Godfather of al-qaeda and Bin Laden'' clearly portrays how even in death, Israel continues to demonise and skew the worlds perception so as to remove any feelings of sympathy, de-humanising all Palestinians. It makes me sick. As for our own puppet Howard, his comments, along the lines of ``he should have done more to curb terrorist activities'' just proves how ignorant and stupid he looks. I'm not surprised by his comments, but just pissed that this Kirribilli dwelling, never got-his-hands dirty, living in the land of luxury WASP has the audacity to give such a sound-bite. Howard wouldn't have lasted a minute in Arafat's shoes.