Friday 29 October 2004

What will happen to the PLO?

As I write this, rumours are rife on the health of the aged Palestinian who, for most of the world's population, embodies the essence - whether accurate or not - of Palestinians.
As is the norm of the PLO, nay of Arab leaders, sorry of ARABS full stop, bad news is NEVER given straight up but is always sugar coated. Even if someone is on their death bed - especially an esteemed person as Yasser Arafat - the world, even their closest relatives and friends, are not informed of the extent or seriousness of the illness. I'm not sure of the exact reason, but it may have something to do with superstition. It's as if the affliction or fear is said outloud, it WILL come true, or ever something worse may happen.
But this aside, Mr Arafat is an old man. He is 75 years-old (I believe) and I don't think his frail hands could wield another Kalishnakov or even give a firm hand shake.
Whether he dies in the next few hours, days or even months, it seems as if his days are numbered. Which leads us to the question, What will happen to the PLO?
My personal views are mixed. Both about the PLO and Yasser Arafat. I respect many qualities he posses and also abhor others. I respect his resilience and yet he has left me feeling embarrassed and cringing at some of his actions during his long career. For instance, the Oslo Accords. I respect his courage, his true love for his country. I don't envy his position nor the concessions he has had to make both personally and morally.
But, if he does die soon, I will mourn him. I will feel sorry for him, sorry that his life-long goals have not been achieved. Some may argue he has been ''bad'' for the Palestinian cause, others may see him as a champion. I sit somewhere in the middle.
While I cannot begin to assume I know the inner workings of his mind, he knew this day would come and has prepared for it. But, knowing his former dealings, he will not only have a Plan B, but probably a C, D X, Y and Z.
Who will replace him if he is indeed replaceable? Will the PLO disintegrate? Will it be overcome by the hardliners such as Hamas or the intellectuals such as Hanan Ashrawi? Ideally, I believe, the future lies in the hands of those who speak words easily digestible by the West rather than the fear-mongering of the so-called Terrorists.
Sometimes, I wish I was older and had the intellect to be a player in the shaping of this future. Had I been born in Palestine would I have been able to stir up the emotions of the people, have the wisdom to speak on their behalf? But, everyone has their destiny and this is not mine.
What does fate have in store for the Palestinian Question?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a thought provoking read, thanks for that. Indeed what will happen? I hope its not vale Arafat soon? I'm not sure what power he wields now, but I do know that he captured my imagination a long, long time ago and through his visage and statements on the world stage I was able to get an understanding of Palestine its people and its struggle. He is at the end of the day just a man, but he has also been a proud man and struggled always with conviction. Good health to him.

mark

Honey said...

Mark, I agree with you that he is but a man and I too wish him health. It might take a WO-man to make the necessary changes in the middle east? I'm glad you found my piece thought-provoking :)

Darp said...

Ideally, we'd want a capable moderate like Marwan Barghouti released from jail and for Hanan Ashrawi to take a more active role - sorry be PERMITTED to take a more active role.

If Israel is serious a reaching a just peace, which of course is not the case with the current administration, they would help facilitate this.

Instead, I feel that the more extreme elements of the resistance will come to the fore. The Israeli right will love this as a Palestinian Nation effectively represented by terrorist organisations is a much more justifiable target to grind under your heel.

Anonymous said...

Commiserating over Yasser Terrorfat? Hardly. The man is a terrorist. Quite prepared to kill innocent people in the name of his ‘cause’ and Allah, and where has this mentality taken him and his people that he loves so dearly? How would any you or your families like to have been one the expendables in the name of his pursuits? He has left no clear path of succession – not even for another crony. Where have all the billions he has diverted away from the PLO Arabs gone - I suppose the Jews forced him to do this too? Many wistful, misty-eyed comments made from the luxury of a free nation, there is no way that any of it would be tolerated in Palestine with or without Israel as the “oppressor”. Free speech is all the rage in the Middle East, as we know.

I understand that Israel definitely makes grave errors in the handling of the Palestinian issue, and all we ever hear about is Sharon’s and Israel’s failings, but for goodness sakes – please bear in mind the culpability of the Palestinians and Yasser Arafat for the mess they are in too. This guy is a dud, an egotist who has failed his people. Irrespective of what was offered or not at Camp David, the terror continued whilst there was relative peace, there were discussions. Many more examples like this one.

http://www2.cnn.com/WORLD/9603/jerusalem_blast/03-04/7p/

As for Barghouti; a moderate? Only committed (or involved with) half as many murders perhaps? Its high time we started getting equally interested in the Palestinians’ blemishes – you wont have to dig to far to find some of Humankinds most disgusting episodes.

posted by Scott