Saturday 23 October 2004

Another Christening

Guess what? Yesterday, I won an I-Pod! I can't believe it. Seriously, I'm one of those really unlucky people who NEVER win anything, not even on a chocolate wheel at a school fete. It was really funny actually. My sister, who's a serial radio-competition player, actually got through to 2DayFM and had to say what she would get plastic surgery for, then they called me and I had to answer the same thing. Pity, it wasn't the Bonus Hour... we would have won $1000 to spend at Just Jeans.
By the way Darp, don't knock my infatuation with Geoff Jansz. You can't talk. Seriously Johanna Griggs? She's a bloke, and an ugly one at that.
So today I have my third Christening to attend this month. This is what happens when you have a large extended Catholic family and you marry a Croatian with an even larger extended Catholic family. Don't get me wrong, I dearly love all these people, but one can only take so much. Oh yeah, and it's being held at the Sydney-Balkan community's favourite hot spot: Punchbowl. There are three things that are always guaranteed at this place. 1) the waitstaff is REALLY rude. Seriously. 2) The food is ALWAYS the same (barely edible and features big slabs of pork) 3) the airconditioning is never turned on so God help you if it's a hot day. I hope I haven't offended too many people! But, there is one thing on the menu I always look forward to, the Kolace. To all those non-Cro speaking people - the Cakes. It's a tradition that all the mum's make an assortment of really yummy cakes. Chocolate wafer biscuits, jam filled sugary things etc etc. I purposely eat the bare minimum main-course so that I can fill up on these sweet things. Do you blame me?
Last night, I was bored so I changed my hair colour. It was looking dry and ratty. It's a bit darker than usual, but that's ok. I love changing my hair colour. It's a cheap alternative to plastic surgery.
Uh-oh, Princess just woke from her 30 min power nap. More on that later.
Also, the stupid wireless mouse broke yesterday so I'm typing san-mouse. Excuse any typos. Bye

3 comments:

Darp said...

Of course there's no aircon at the Cro club.

Didn't you know that according to most Croatian fathers, air conditioning of any kind will turn you into a "bloody poofter fucken".

Whilst on a stinking hot bus from Dubrovnik to Split (Croatian coast), this Kiwi girl starts ranting and raving about the lack of aircon and "why can't they open the fucking windows?"

The driver had her outburst translated to him and then turned to his mate and said: "Why is she yelling and screaming, she'll just make herself MORE hot and bothered."

Anonymous said...

sudden temp changes associated with air con can result in hyperactive airway syndrome, which is another name for non-allergic asthma to which kids are susceptible to, which may be the reason why cros hardly have asthma

and the actual reason why cros choose not to have air con: dont know

stilt said...

hey - at least being Catholic you probably understand the whole drill. I got suckered into going to Mass yesterday for a friends' bubs christening and was a bit confused when the service ended without even a mention of the little bundle of joy.

After being harrased by the elderly-woman-powertripper (you know the type, there's one or two in every church who live for telling people what to do in there. Which was kinda ironic, as the sermon was about the Pharisee and the tax collector, and why God hates pious people, but thats another story) who asked us what we were doing standing around in the church after mass, I finally found out that the christening was a whole seperate service an hour after mass.

Imagine the distress at learning not only could I have skipped mass, but had another hour of sleep on a sunday morning. Luckily the philippino side of the couples family was in charge of the catering, so the food was worth it.