Friday 22 October 2004

First Post

So I have succumbed to the temptation of hundreds, no thousands (maybe millions?) of others, and have become a blogger. After reading countless entries by friends and strangers, I thought this would be a great way to add my possibly interesting, mainly inane comments about life, love, and the universe, to the countless words out there in the World Wide Web. Actually, if the truth be known, I'm mainly doing this because I miss writing so much since being a housebound full-time mum. But, I wouldn't want anyone to think that being a mum is the definitive essence of my being. Yes, ever since the birth of my beautiful babe, I have had to come to terms with being unselfish. Whereas previously I would have described myself as a woman, an Australian-Palestinian ethical journalist - then maybe as wife, sister, friend, human rights activist etc etc etc.. I now find myself introducing myself as a mum of a seven-and-a-half month old to complete strangers at the Coles checkout while discussing the smell, colour and texture of my bundle-of-joy's poo. But, being at home - sometimes for 4 days straight - has given birth to a plethora of thoughts. Game shows for instance: I've become addicted and get a real emotional and physical reaction. They have become my new nicotine. Also, a weird infatuation with TV cook/celebrity Geoff Jansz. I never miss his sexy green eyes at 11.30am. I even time my daughter's feed so I can watch him puree, dice and stir while shovelling rice cereal into her mouth. I've even gone to the extent of getting an answer machine to screen calls during these precious 24 minutes (minus add breaks) to act as my Do Not Disturb sign. But all these things aside, it has been a wonderful, sometime hair-pulling time. Sometimes you feel isolated, sometimes thrilled (especially when you know you can stay in bed and not fight traffic), but most of all privileged that I have a choice that I have a wonderfully supporting partner and don’t HAVE to go back to work and that I have this amazing little being that adores me and I can (hopefully) help shape into a valuable member of the human race.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geoff Jansz is a hottie!

Darp said...

Ok.

You have been cooped up at home too long Mrs Honeydew.

Jeff Jansz? Who's next? Are you going to suddenly think that Larry Emdur isn't all that bad ...maybe the guy who hosts the infomercials on Bert Newton's show will start to hit your G-spot!?!?

Zoe said...

Don't worry about what thinking Geoff Jansz is a hottie does.

Worry if you start thinking about Bert.