Tuesday 26 October 2004

Still no teeth

Another day, another toothless grin.

Today has been a bit of a shite day. (I'm writing this just befor midnight, so it's technically still Monday.) Monday, is supposed to be the best day of the week for Cancerians - being the Moon's Day and all - but it's been a bit of a bummer. The main reason for this is a rather unpleasant conversation with my ''work''. As I understand it, women make up about half of the working population in Australia (not sure of the stats, but if anyone has it, please feel free to enlighten me) and yet many employers make it so damned difficult for women to be a mum and actually have a career. It gets me so pissed off that women like myself are made to feel guilty for ``taking time off work'' to have a baby and then made to grovel for part-time work, only to be told that the only obligation they have is to give you back your old position. Like many women, it was drummed into me at a very early age by our feminist mothers, to get an education, have a career. I spent my late teens, early twenties getting that education and then working my ass of, (for minimum wage, mind you) to have that career. A career I excelled at, respected for. Only to find, that as soon as you pro-create, it somehow makes you less intelligent, less employable and easily replaceable by the very same people that made you feel privileged to work 15 hours straight for. Call me idealistic, but I thought our feminist mothers paved the way for us so that we could have a CHOICE. Why can't I have both? Why do I have to ''work my way from the bottom'' again as it was so eloquently put to me by none other than a WOMAN? I'm angry, I'm hurt. But, I'm not going to take this lying down. I'm not just a ''mother'' and perform ''home duties''. At the moment, I have made the choice to whole heartedly be a mother, I love it, I wouldn't want my life to be any different. I don't want it all at once, but I also don't want to feel inferior because I chose to put a little life before mine.
And they wonder why we have an ageing population.

Enough of this heavy stuff... Chanel Cole has been kicked of Australian Idol - Thank God! Sucked in (Do I sound 15?!?!).

Tomorrow's Tuesday, which means Mother's Group. Against my better judgment I started attending after bubby was born. I met some nice women. (Only one I actually make time to see though). But then the cracks started to show. The competitiveness, the showing off, the airs. I suppose it's inevitable, put a group of three or more women together and there's sure to be bitching. I tried to delude myself at first. We are all grown women, this isn't High School? How wrong I was. My sister warned me. Now, I don't waste my time. I'd rather watch the Midday Movie.

And God Created Woman.

No comments: