Wednesday 31 August 2005

Poor Broggers!

I was close to tears this morning when I heard what happened to John Brogden overnight.
For those who don't know what the hell I'm going on about, I'll do a quick re-cap.
John Brogden - MP for Pittwater and State Liberal Opposition Leader resigned on Monday after it was revealed he called Former Labor Premier Bob Carr's Malaysian born wife Helena a ''Mail Order Bride'' at a boozy night where a number of Journalists were in attendance.
NOW, I'm not excusing him or agreeing with his distateful comments - he puts it down as a stupid joke of sorts - but I honestly felt sorry for him because I know his whole political career is now DEAD.
He was stupid, naive and a complete idiot. He resigned and left the door open for Fatty O'Barrell ooops sorry Barry O'Farrell ( who has now pulled out of the race) and cardboard cut-out Peter Debnam (he really is very cardboardy looking) to take the reigns.
This morning it was revealed he tried to top himself over the scandal.
John, what did you do???
I can personally say that - with my political views aside - Broggers is a likeable, decent bloke.
I dealt with him on a nearly daily basis in my Journo days when I worked at the Manly Daily and as young, ambitious guy who has worked his whole life to get to where he is, I admired his forthrightness and ambition. He does have a familiarity with journalists so I disregard the sexual harassment claims (I'm not calling anyone a liar but some journos do have a penchant for BEATING UP a story). I was pregnant with Tara at the same time his wife Lucy was with their son and Broggers always had a nice word to say to me and asked how I was coming along.
I really, really wish him a speedy recovery and hope he has the drive and faith to overcome this seemingly insurmountable obstacle.
And for those vulture-journos camped outside Royal North Shore Hospital, (I wouldn't put it past some to dress up as an orderly to get closer to him) leave the poor bugger alone.
That said, I know that if I was still working at the local paper, I would have been at RNSH in a lickety-split.
I'm digging myself in a hole here! I'm not meaning to sound contradictory, but there are journalist (e.g the Current Affair type) and then there are Journalists (e.g like me who are moral, seek the truth and want to write a great, newsworthy story)

Get well Broggers!!

No comments: